Childhood trauma occurs when a child is emotionally, sexually, or physically abused or neglected. If support and love in that child’s environment are lacking or unavailable, what could be worked through instead remains an open wound. These open wounds include feelings of unworthiness, of loneliness, of being unseen and unappreciated, of feeling he or she is without resources, and that relationships are not to be trusted. Unless there are opportunities for healing, the child carries that woundedness into adulthood and, frequently, into addiction. Sex, porn, and love addictions are essentially about numbing the pain of those wounds,
FROM THE ROOTS TO THE RECOVERY:
The Mosaic Group and SATTI’s 5- and 10-Day Intensive are structured to help move recovery goals into the deeper healing that individuals who struggle with these addiction need and are seeking. The effects of childhood trauma—equally abuse and neglect—are profound and wide-ranging, manifesting in intimacy and attachment issues, low self-esteem, isolation, anxiety and depression, and ongoing active dissociative defenses. Unless these trauma consequences (“trauma echoes”) are addressed, sobriety will be uneasy, episodic, and lacking in satisfaction.
Although many trauma survivors “know” their trauma story, they have not had the opportunity to do the actual work of healing their trauma wounds. Both the Roots Group and the Intensives offer participants the compassionate support, the guidance, and the essential healing modalities needed to face their trauma histories--to “begin at the beginning”--and embark on the creation of a new life where sobriety can be both consistent and deeply fulfilling.
Promises haven’t helped, self-control hasn’t worked, you’ve installed software to block your electronics, only to end up working your way around it. Even your partner’s threats to leave haven’t stopped you. Clearly you want to change your behavior, and yet . . . you haven’t found the way out of your devastating situation. You’re feeling guilty and ashamed and . . and hopeless.
The Roots Group will help you to understand that you aren’t “just an addict.” Yes, you ARE an addict, but you also have a healthy self, a self that stands apart from your addict and is desperate to stop the acting out. It's the healthy self that feels guilt and shame over your behavior. The addict self doesn't care! In The Roots Group you will learn how to nurture that healthy self so that over time the addict will take up less and less room in your personality and have less and less control over your behavior.
The Roots Group focuses on the key set of factors commonly found in the early years of those individuals who become sex addicts. These factors, which interfere with and distort healthy attachment and are devastating to self-esteem, make the development of a sexual addiction an almost logical outcome. If left unacknowledged and untreated, these root causes can negatively impact you at all stages of your recovery and undermine even your most sincere efforts to get and stay sexually sober.
The Roots Group meets weekly in a small-group format for six weeks, using Zoom. The cost for the 6 weeks is $1,200. Scholarships may be available as needed and some insurance carriers may cover it.
When the Roots Group ends, both ongoing group or individual therapy and the next step of a 5- or 10-Day Intensive Outpatient rehab will be available. We often serve as adjunctive therapy to clients working with other professionals and are experienced in integrating our work with theirs.
* Are you in the early, crisis stages of recognizing your sexual addiction, and/or
* Are unable to maintain sobriety despite conventional therapeutic treatment, and/or
* Wish to potentiate your recovery process through an intensive treatment focus, and/or
* Realize the need to focus on resolving underlying trauma and neglect as your recovery progresses, and/or
* Have family and career responsibilities that necessitate your engaging in a shorter-term but intensive rehab experience near your home base?
Here are some of the reasons that our Intensive may be the experience that you need to jumpstart your recovery, if you are in the early stages, or to deepen your recovery process if you are at a later stage and are still struggling.
* Convenience. Because our Intensives are exclusively focused on trauma-healing as the foundation of sexual sobriety, we offer as much therapeutic care over the course of our 5- and 10 day programs as would be the case if you had to leave home and spend 15- to 30 days at an inpatient rehab, where, instead, the focus is primarily on the behavioral aspects of the addiction rather than on in-depth transformative trauma-healing. Our Intensives also affordable and cost-effective when compared to inpatient rehabs.
* Individualized Trauma Treatment. Our Intensives are limited in size and tailored to meet the recovery needs of each participant. Treatment modalities include the experiential and expressive modalities that are essential approaches to trauma healing..
We can also offer you a individual, comprehensive, in-depth program if you are not comfortable working in a group of strangers or have special privacy concerns.
* Expertise. Our treatment team, compassionate and nonjudgmental, is made up of licensed professionals who specialize in sex, porn, and love addiction remediation and are also experts in addressing the trauma that is at the root of these addictions.
* After-Care Plans with Familiar Therapists. In most cases the same treating people from the Intensive will be
able to continue your ongoing therapeutic process, so there will be no need to tell your story all over again to new therapists.
* Treatment for Your Family. The Intensive includes 4 hours of specifically focused treatment for your family members and partner. Ongoing couples' therapy and partners' groups are also an option after the rehab.